Error "Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation" when creating Public Folder Database

Have you ever thought why you get the error message "Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation" when you try to create Public Folder Database in Exchange Server 2010.
Which is the component comes in picture when you create a Mailbox Database, Public Folder Database, Move Mailbox?
The answer is, Microsoft Exchange System Attendant is the component comes in picture when doing all the above things.
I was working with the client last week on Exchange 2010 migration from Exchange 2003. After installing Exchange 2010 SP1 without any issue, I found the it didn't created the Public Folder Database even after having outlook 2003 client in the environment.
I tried to move mailbox from 2003 to 2010 and it failed on 95%. I tried with another mailbox with 9 MB of size and it also failed on 95%.
I tried to create the Public Folder Database but got the below error message "Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation".


I did lots of research and searched every where on the internet but didn't got anything related to it. I have to fix this issue as client had lots of outlook 2003 clients. I started reading about MS Exchange System Attendant service and it pointed me to Address List.
I checked in the client environment and found that they have one Address List say, ABC Address List.
I asked client about this address list and he said that address list contain nothing, its empty. I told him that due to the corruption of this Address List (ABC Address List) we are unable to create Public Folder Database. To get this fixed I will have to delete this address list.
Double checked and found that there is nothing in it and somebody has created it just like that long time ago. Deleted the address List from Adsiedit.msc and we were able to create Public Folder Database successfully. Moved the Mailboxes from 2003 to 2010 successfully.
Cheers,

17 Responses to Error "Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation" when creating Public Folder Database

  1. Anonymous says:

    I got the same problem (and same infrastructure), but have no idea exactly what address list to look for. I am not a big van of just deleting a random list, so what kind of list should I be looking for here? Also, in ADSI Edit I just find my standard address lists and they all have addresses in them. One is in dutch however and has a subset of lists.
    I cannot find ANYTHING helpful online. Anz suggestion would be helpful. Thanks.

  2. Gulab says:

    How many address list do you have. You can check if you have any user or contact associated with it?

  3. Anonymous says:

    there are the 4 standard ones and about 8 Custom Listst. All have useres and contacts associated with them. None of them are empty. I keep on getting this error.

  4. Gulab says:

    Sorry for not getting back to you earlier today, I was busy in one project. I know it's hard to find out which AL is corrupt and which AL is not. Run setup.com /preparead on the server and post the result here.

  5. theNerdGoddess says:

    You can actually figure out which address list is bad pretty easily. Also, most of the time it is not corrupted, Exchange 2010 wants it in the OPATH instead of LDAP, and since those address lists are usually custom LDAP queries, it will error out.
    The way you find out which address list is causing the issue. Is trying to create a mailbox, a database, etc (thing that you are getting errors on) via PowerShell. Powershell will spit out a lot more information (it will not let you create the object, but at least it will give you a detailed response of why it cannot create it).
    For example, when I try to create a mailbox via PS I get the following:

    [PS] C:\Windows\system32>New-Mailbox -UserPrincipalName test2010@domain.com -Alias test2010 -Database "Mailbox Database 1" -Name test2010 -Password $password -FirstName test -LastName 2010 -DisplayName "test2010" -ResetPasswordOnNextLogon $false
    The LdapRecipientFilter "(&(&(mailnickname=*)(DisplayName=\2a*CR *)(!msExchHideFromAddressLists=1)(objectCategory=perso
    n)(objectClass=user)))" on Address List or Email Address Policy "\All Conference Rooms" is invalid. Additional informat
    ion: The boolean value should be TRUE or FALSE.
    + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (0:Int32) [New-Mailbox], RusException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : 9ED0AAA5,Microsoft.Exchange.Management.RecipientTasks.NewMailbox

    As you can see, it tells you that the "All Conference Rooms" address list is ivalid.

  6. Gulab says:

    Hi,

    Thank you for your comment.

    You are right, but in my case, I had already converted all the address list from LDAP to OPATH.
    I was still getting this error. If you run the command setup.com /preparead it will also give you the same information as address list is invalid. And to fix it, I deleted that address list and it worked perfectly.

    -Gulab

  7. Hello Dude,

    Microsoft Exchange Server is the server side of a client–server, collaborative application product developed by Microsoft. It is part of the Microsoft Servers line of server products and is used by enterprises using Microsoft infrastructure products. Thanks!

  8. Gulab says:

    Right, but what are you trying to say?

  9. Malik says:

    getting same error message in exchange 2013 .. but my scenario is different. i am facing this error message while creating new user through EAC. i have multiple child domains and running exchange server 2010 with tmg, i deployed 4 2013 (2 for CAS and 2 for mailbox role), user migration is successful .. creating user through exchange CMDlet is no issue .. but when i create user using EAC and try to select Organization unit it stuck with this message "Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation..... please wait" ... and keep on waiting .. please advice ... for screen shots please refer http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvradmin/thread/34217947-97d5-4370-96dd-bd71f852a4ca/#f69133d6-3226-4af8-8999-7c169ba2750b

  10. If you can create using EMS that means exchange is working fine. I was wondering if you tried EAC with different browser? If not then I would suggest try with other browser and create the Mailbox and let me know the status. Also look for some event in Application log on the server.

  11. Malik says:

    yup i tried both explorer and firefox :( .. dont know whats matter and no help at any forum . and even no one other then me reported this error yet ... i again explain my scenario in a little detail .. its 2 sites diff geo locations .each site has a no. of child domains (every child domain holds its own unique emails ids . i started upgrade from schema master .. every thing goes well .. i can migrate user .. user can access mail box etc etc. no problem .... but the only issue im unable to create user mail box through EAC ... (pls review the link in my upper post of understanding)

  12. Hi,
    Thank you for the update. Here is the other thing I will try. Install Management tool on other server or workstation and try to create mailbox. Remember try this only if you have tried to create the Mailbox from more then one servers. In the mean while let me check my LAB and I should get some answers for this issue.

  13. Malik says:

    thanks gulab. i tried from many computer .. server itself .. from other servers in domain and even from workstations (also tried multiple urls... like local, FQDN etc ).... all generated same result :( ... this error is related to .net or something .. so my understanding is something b/w my cas and active directory is fishy ... but unable to figure it out ...

  14. Can you post the result of Get-WebServicesVirtualDirectory | fl

  15. Malik says:

    i think u want to check MRSProxyEnabled .. it was false .. but i set it true in my all new and old servers in one site ... :(

  16. Malik says:

    PROBLEM Solved :) ... this is a bug in exchange 2013 ... just ensure that in AD no domain controller in under nested OU .. mean it must be at root OU of "domain controllers" .. and no empty OU in entire AD.

  17. Good to hear that issue is resolved. :)
    Thank you for the update.

Leave a Reply

EXCHANGE RANGER