iPhone and Windows Mobile device not working after migrating from Exchange Server 2003 to 2010

I started working on one Exchange 2003 to 2010 migration project. Everything went fine and migration process was very smooth.
After moving all the mailboxes I checked with all the users Outlook and they were working fine without any issue. Checked OWA as well and it was working fine. After sometime few users started reporting that they have iPhone and they are not able to connect to there mailbox, they are getting error message "Not able to authenticate to the Exchange Server".
Sometime later i got to know that Windows Mobile users are also facing the same issue. There were lots users like this and it worked absolutely fine when they were on Exchange Server 2003.

Checked all sort of things, checked the Virtual Directories and they were working fine. I checked the permission on User Mailbox in Adsiedit and found that "Include inheritable permissions from this object's parent" is Unchecked.

Checked the "Include inheritable permissions from this object's parent" check box and Click on Apply and OK.

Rebooted the iPhone and checked the issue and it started working fine. Did the same to Windows Mobile device and they started working fine as well.


2 Responses to iPhone and Windows Mobile device not working after migrating from Exchange Server 2003 to 2010

  1. danlau says:


    Seen this on almost every 2010 engagement I've done. Apparently there are quite a few 3rd party exchange plug-ins that would break inheritance when installing and creating accounts. It's to a point where one of the steps during installation of exchange should be to go to the root OU and check this.

    Thanks for the post!

    /R DL

  2. Gulab says:

    Hello Danlau,
    Thank you for you comment.

    Regarding your plug-ins for exchange, I would say NO, because this issue doesn't happen with all the migrations and if you break the inheritance it will cause lots of issues in installation, migration and other.

Leave a Reply