Archive for January 2013

The Setup Wizard had determined that Certificate Revocation List (CRL) checking is enabled on this computer.

I was doing exchange server 2010 SP2 rollup update (In the LAB) on few exchange servers. It’s Update Rollup 5V2. When I ran the Update Rollup file after a few seconds it gave me the below warning message.


I continued, just to check how much time does it takes to install the update. It took around 4 hours to complete. If you are running this in production, I would strongly recommend not to ignore this message.

I Googled the error and I did found few articles, which talk’s about doing the registry editing, netsh http delete sslcert and Security setting change on Internet Explorer. But none of the article says to do the both, hence even if change the registry and don't change the IE settings, it's not going to work. At least it didn't worked for me  I choose to do the things manually this time.

Registry editing steps.
The default value will is 0, you need to change it to 1. Restart the server after making the changes.

Default Registry Value


Now, after making the above changes, I ran the the setup again, but I got the same error again. Now the only thing was remain was Internet Explorer setting, hence did the same.
Open Internet Explorer--->Internet Options--->Advanced--->Under security, uncheck the Check for publisher's certificate revocation option.

This time you don’t have to restart the server :). I ran the setup again for Rollup Update 5 V2 and it completed successfully.

RU Install

Note: Once the installation/upgrade is complete, change the registry value to 0 and IE back to it's default setting.


The error code is: 8224. When running /PrepareAD

Friend of mine came across with this issue while installing first exchange 2010 SP1 in the environment. I thought of sharing it with all of you.

While running /PrepareAd, the switch failed with below error message.

Checked the location in the error "C:\Users\administrator.LABS\AppData\Local\Temp\ldif.err" and found the log file.

Opened the log file and found the below information.

If you check the ExchangeSetup.log file you will get more detailed information on the error message.
What happened was, there was one ADC in the environment and it was turned OFF, turned ON the ADC and replicated (force) the domain controllers and waited for replication to complete.

Ran the /PrepareAD and it completed successfully. Installed Exchange successfully.